Friday, March 9, 2012

Nurturing Girl Cells and Remembering the International Women's day

International Women's Day (IWD), originally called International Working Women’s Day, is celebrated today on March 8 every year. In different regions the focus of the celebrations ranges from general celebration of respect, appreciation and love towards women to a celebration for women's economic, political and social achievements. 

Watching this below video today in particular inspired me to write in this post in a spirit of remembering Women's day. This is one of those rare videos where am able to completely relate to each and every word of the speaker.


These below words in particular caught my attention!


Embrace your inner girl!
Embrace the Girl Cell which is a composition of compassion, empathy, passion, vulnerability, openness, intensity, intuition which is essential to balance, wisdom , which is in all of us, which is the future of all of us. 
Indeed compassion informs wisdom, 
Vulnerability is our greatest strength and 
Emotions have inherent logic which lead to radical appropriate saving action.
Capacity for girls to overcome situations and to move on levels is mind blowing! Being a girl is indeed so powerful!

I AM AN EMOTIONAL CREATURE
I love being a girl.
I can feel what you're feeling
as you're feeling it inside the feeling before.
I am an emotional creature.
Things do not come to me
as intellectual theories or hard-shaped ideas.
They pulse through my organs and legs
and burn up my ears.
I know when your girlfriend's really pissed off
even though she appears to give you what you want.
I know when a storm is coming.
I can feel the invisible stirrings in the air.
I can tell you he won't call back.
It's a vibe I share.
I am an emotional creature.
I love that I do not take things lightly.
Everything is intense to me.
The way I walk in the street.
The way my mother wakes me up.
The way I hear bad news.
The way it's unbearable when I lose.
I am an emotional creature.
I am connected to everything and everyone.
I was born like that.
Don't you dare say all negative that it's a teenage thing or it's only only because I'm a girl.
These feelings make me better.
They make me ready.
They make me present.
They make me strong.
I am an emotional creature.
There is a particular way of knowing.
It's like the older women somehow forgot.
I rejoice that it's still in my body.
I know when the coconut's about to fall.
I know that we've pushed the earth too far.
I know my father isn't coming back.
That no one's prepared for the fire.
I know that lipstick means more than show.
I know that boys feel super-insecure
and so-called terrorists are made, not born.
I know that one kiss can take away all my decision-making ability
and sometimes, you know, it should.
This is not extreme.
It's a girl thing.
What we would all be if the big door inside us flew open.
Don't tell me not to cry.
To calm it down
Not to be so extreme
To be reasonable.
I am an emotional creature.
It's how the earth got made.
How the wind continues to pollinate.
You don't tell the Atlantic ocean to behave.
I am an emotional creature.
Why would you want to shut me down or turn me off?
I am your remaining memory.
I am connecting you to your source.
Nothing's been diluted.
Nothing's leaked out.
I can take you back.
I love that I can feel the inside of the feelings in you,
even if it stops my life
even if it hurts too much
or takes me off track
even if it breaks my heart.
It makes me responsible.
I am an emotional
I am an emotional, devotional,
incandotional, creature.
And I love, hear me,
love love love being a girl.

So true! Very well said Eve Ensler!

These below thoughts raced across my mind as I watched this video in total agreement. Well I am not afraid anymore to openly admit that there has been those

Days where I had not been comfortable with my emotionality. 
Days when my tears were washed away in restroom waters or wiped away secretly in my pillow at bedtime.
Days were I wished I was little more light hearted like I was told or expected to be. 
Days were I hoped that I could have cried little less and perhaps saved some energy over every real and imagined problem/hurt. 
Days that made me wonder what is all this intuition, passion, openness, intensity, empathy, compassion, vulnerability within me for. 

Am sure every girl out there would agree with me (atleast to some extent) on these above thoughts. But over these years as I travel a bit and see reality around me, listen to some heart wrenching stories of people around me and watch inspiring videos like the above one,  am indeed amazed at my ability to feel what other people feel whether or not I have directly experienced the same emotions. Am realizing these very qualities of a real girl are indeed her source of strength and not something to be embarrassed about.

Am glad have finally moved over my fears and am willingly admitting embracing the Girl Cells within me. 

Yes, This is indeed what makes 
the REAL ME !
Every girl a REAL GIRL! and ....
Every human being a REAL HUMAN BEING!

In fact, having tasted it's power I feel like going one step further now. I feel like nurturing these cells and hope they thrive and grow to become my entire being, nay the entire cosmos as opposed to just being a single chip/ cell within me :)!

This realization has indeed made me Awaken from the delusional expectation that some outside entity might come to turn every tear of mine into a smile or every dream of mine into reality. 

Must say, I value each and every tear drop I have had to shed in my life so far as much as I cherish the moments of laughter in my life. I understand it might be weird or frightening to value/cherish tear drops just as much as laughter. But the reward, the sweet reward of doing so ................................

 .........................is to discover your capability to convert every tear drop into a waterfall ;).
This one is for all those girls out there who have not realized the power of embracing their Girl Cells.
This one is for the few good men out there who have their inner Girl Cells activated.
This one is in the hope that every chance blog reader realizes the importance of nurturing their inner Girl Cells just like I did :).



Being a girl is indeed great since I know for sure that I can get away by writing such an honest open emotional post. In fact I may even be more appreciated than ridiculed by society for being open and emotional as opposed to these coming from a guy  ;)


And yea, a real girl knows that this one kiss can take away all her decision making capability and like Eve Ensler says it probably should! ;)

                                                             Happy Women's day folks! 

2 comments:

  1. I too, watched Eves video and heard her poem and am glad you felt inspired to write this post. The world needs more compassion, but sometimes its blocked by a denial that we have feelings or are allowed to express those we recognize.

    In Eves talk she says that she witnessed war and came to think of bullets as the tears of men, as their right to feel has been squashed. I believe that its women who can activate compassion in both sexes, and help the world heal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your time reading and sharing your thoughts. I could not agree more to you.
    Astraea

    ReplyDelete