Friday, February 3, 2012

Boston Musings ...


The last day of a memorable vacation! Can't believe how time seems to fly so quickly when I am doing things I really enjoy. Started the day by planning a small surprise for my friend and was glad to see it work :). Over breakfast at Starbucks me and my friend had a retrospective conversation about the trip including planning etc  . After bidding adieu to my friend I headed to the Apple store at Boston(the largest Apple store in the US). The news of Steve Jobs death during my vacation had disturbed me internally. It felt weird to know that the person whose products had really gotten me interested in electronic gadgets is no more. This event made me contemplate and hope that Apple would continue to design innovative products that will not disappoint it's fans or bhakts like me ;). Several fans had paid their homage at the entrance of the store with flowers and letters.

Posing in front of Apple store with mixed emotions !

Next I headed to the Old State House building. This building was also located near the site where the Boston Massacre took place. This was one of the points of interests of the Freedom Trail tour. A book on Freedom Trail self guide caught my eye as I was browsing through a gift shop. The book was written by a former freedom trail guide and I purchased it being fascinated with the depth of information and history the author had published in it. I decided to spend my last few hours in the city by following the freedom trail. It was a fascinating experience to follow the red trail line with the guide book in hand.

I passed by The Old State House, Boston Massacre Site, Quincy Market, Faneuil Hall and bunch of other historic sites as part of the trail. It was interesting to read the history behind each one of these places as I walked past them. The entire journey made me recollect stories I had read off my high school history text book and as well contemplate on the fact that India was not the only country in having to fight for freedom from the clutches of the British Government.

 Below are some pictures captured alongside my walking tour.












Street Musician playing a lovely romantic note of Titanic

A Chance car crash scene shoot in a movie








 6 memorial glass towers!


                      

Each of these glass towers had some words of experiences from the concentration camp survivors engraved . As I read the first four towers, I was shocked and sad to read what these people had to endure for no clear fault of theirs save having been said to have born under a particular race. The societal evil racism had been rampant in the lives of these innocent people. The intensity of their experiences progressed from bad to worse with each glass tower. It was the brutal truth and I was not able to read the experiences written beneath the last two towers.  

As I progressed further I passed by Greenway park. I found it to be a wonderful place for people watching :).
Kid enjoying life playing amidst water fountain

The next site North End turned out to be quite lovely. It is a colorful neighborhood filled with plenty of Italian Restaurants and pastry shops. Was happy to have landed there just around lunch time :).

I swear I could go on and on about each of the historic sites I visited, but with best interest have written briefly only about a select few :). For folks who are really interested in more detailed information about these places visit http://www.thefreedomtrail.org/ or plan a trip to Boston and explore it by foot like I did to get the best experience :). And yea, touring boston downtown will be an informative and unique experience unlike those of New York/ San Francisco downtown regions :). 

The entire trail made me vicariously experience American History !  Finishing my last post on this vacation trip, the state of my mind while I fly back to San Francisco is that of joyful reminiscence of the lovely days filled with excitement and spent well away from technology and social media :).

                                      A rejuvenating vacation spent "Princess-Style" indeed ;) .

The cog railway teddy bear surprise from my friend would be a gift I would treasure from this trip besides the travel experience :). And now am recharged to go back to the grind with eager anticipation of my next travel adventure :D.

No comments:

Post a Comment